Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist

Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist
Me at a Comic Con

Wednesday 3 April 2013

Another Reject- Jupiter Moon

In 1990, there was a bit of a VHS/Betamax situation going out between Sky TV and BSB (you remember The Squarial? Thought not. Remember VHS and Betamax?). BSB was British Satellite Broadcasting, and for a few months, had three or four seperate channels and some good programmes. They even had their own soap opera-but this was a SPACE soap opera! It was called 'Jupiter Moon' and starred Anna Chancellor. The Daily Star was the lucky rag that bid for an exclusive Jupiter Moon comic strip- and for some reason I can't recall, I got the job of drawing it! Here are the only three examples I still have- sadly, the whole project came off the rails a month after it started when BSB folded. I never even got a free squarial. But then I already had cable. Shame. But anyway, here's all that remains of my Jupiter Moon, comic strip wise.

6 comments:

Kid said...

Nice. Don't you miss working on 'serious' strips? People seem to accord more artistic respect to those who draw them.

NP said...

Yes, they do respect you more. I don't know, it's nice to do both (and even inbetween stuff) but there's no interest in these 'light' action strips today.

Grimbo said...

Love the dialogue: "By Saturn, you're right, Mercedes."

NP said...

Marks out of 10, Grimbo?

Anonymous said...

As an actor in this I'm thrilled to see this for the first time. JM was a truly awful show but for the actors involved (who rarely saw rushes) it was great fun and delightfully silly.
I bet there's a real potential for a strip here; at least it was so long ago one could crib the story lines; Smethurst would never know...
Lovely drawings incidentally Nigel; I'm sorry I couldn't comment at the time (but was hardly aware of their existence).
Best wishes
Dominic (Piers Gilpin)

NP said...

Nice to hear from you Dominic. It's a shame I don't have the original artwork, as it looks a lot better than these photocopies. Your life and mine may have turned out so differently if Jupiter Moon had been a colossal interstellar hit!