Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist

Nigel Parkinson, Cartoonist
Me at a Comic Con

Friday 15 April 2011

Gimme a Break

These last two weeks I have been plauged by those unsolicited phonecalls that come at just the wrong moment during the working day (you know, that moment when you have the cap off three pens and are juggling them to get the right line) and leave a little gap before intoning grandly "This is an Important Government Message" or "We are not selling anything".
Well, in the extremely unlikely event that anyone responsible for these calls might read this, let me tell you, I know it's not a Government message and I know you are selling something, so please don't call again, I have no interest in you, your product or your services. I've pressed button 9 and you keep calling. Please don't, because, like most people, I have no interest in anything an anonymous person tries to sell me over the phone. If I want something, I'll go and find it. Thanks.

4 comments:

Kid said...

That's what answering machines are for, NP - allows you to monitor who's calling before you pick up the 'phone. Sellers usually hang up right away. You do have to train your friends and family to leave messages 'though, but it's worth it in the end.

NP said...

I had an answerphone up to about three years ago and every morning it was full of these stupid messages, most of which are automated.

Kid said...

Aha - but you don't HAVE to listen them. When I listen to my messages, I simply hit the delete button at anything that even smells like a seller. Just think - you wouldn't have your nice reminder of Alan Fennell if it weren't for that answerphone. I do agree with you 'though - these messages and calls are an intrusion.

Milesc said...

Have you registered with the telephone preference service?
It really works.
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Its a legal requirement that companies have to obey.